The Fist of the Fleet Association established the LTJG Harry D. Jones Memorial Award for Excellence to commemorate the service and sacrifice of Harry and his shipmates who were attached to VT-17 during World War II. The award is granted annually to a Junior Officer currently serving with VFA-25 and selected by the squadron leadership based on the following criteria:
- Spirit of Attack
- Leadership qualities / Division Officer accomplishments
- Strike Fighter Weapons and Tactics syllabus progression
- Carrier Landing performance
- Collateral Duty execution
- Physical Fitness testing score
The award consists of an individual plaque and a grant of $500.00 to the selected Junior Officer. A perpetual plaque was presented to VFA-25 and is updated each year with the name of that year’s recipient. In addition the membership voted to bestow a complimentary Life Membership in FOFA to each recipient. Donations from the membership and any interested parties support this annual award.
It is the Association’s intent to both recognize and encourage superior performance of the VFA-25 Junior Officers and memorialize the service of our earliest shipmates from VT-17. Squadron officers up to and including the rank of Lieutenant will be eligible for consideration each year.
Recipients of the Harry Jones Award
- 2013 LT Andy Peterson, USN
- 2014 LT Dan Owens, USN
- 2015 LT Mark A. Lovrencevic, USN
- 2016 LT Justin L. Reece, USN